To the Corona virus

Yeah, I know that you are a microorganism, and that you really couldn't care less about what I think--if you could care about anything, that is.  You are just doing what comes naturally to you, and your repertoire is limited.

I will say it anyway;   Go to Hell!

You may have the last laugh and get me, but I refuse to make it easy for you.  There are some things that I will not give up:

First, I will not give up my dignity.  I am not afraid of you.  I will not cower in my home.  I will take precautions, and wash my hands a lot.  I will go out and do things that need done.  I will not turn into an idiot by fixating on the news or social media.  Nor will I get worked up over dire predictions or every conspiracy theory I hear.  And I definitely won't help clear the shelves of my local store.
        I am better than that.

Second, I will not give up my humanity.  Since my gym is closed, and I do not have to use of equipment, I have started exercising outside.  I was on a walk in a large parking lot near me, and the other people walking there, although we were at least 6 feet away from each other as we passed during our laps, they would not even return my greeting, even looking away! People, I was saying "good morning" while passing you at 3 MPH!
       Treat each other well.  You hear that all the time, and it is true.  Does that need go away? Loneliness is a plague, but one that is easily prevented.  A greeting and a smile in passing will go a longways.  OK, no need to shake hands, etc., but a simple greeting and a smile???
        OH, most importantly:  I heard some media figure say that seniors should be kept away from kids and young people because they might carry the virus and give it to the seniors who are most susceptible.  Hell no, I will not stay away from my children or grandchildren!
        I can't imagine that young kids can understand what is going on, but only grandparents and older adults can provide the reassurance that they need.
         You might stay healthy if you give up your humanity, but why bother if you have eliminated all the things that make life worth living?

Third, I will not give up my freedom.  More disturbing to me than the seeming omnipresence of the COVID-19 bug is the ease with which people are willing to give up their basic freedoms.  I heard one prominent political commentator suggest having the police patrol neighborhoods and even arrest and isolate people who are not cooperating!  WTF?  When did I move to  North Korea???

No, Virus, it ain't happening.   Lets look at your reality:  most of the people who get you will only experience mild symptoms, if at all. Some might be pretty sick and require hospitalization.  People who are over 60 or who are not otherwise healthy may die.
        Now that I think of it, that makes you a bully, you prey on those who are weaker than you.   All the more reason to stand up to you!
        Fact is that a small percentage of people who get you will succumb.  I am going to die sooner or later, from something.  So, Virus, if it isn't you, it will be something else.

        And, if it is you, you won't get me without a fight!



Comments

Popular Posts